[MaraDNS list] Announcing a MaraDNS discussion board

Sam Trenholme maradns at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 12:17:25 EDT 2013

Hello, everyone,

I am in the process of shutting down the mailing list and replacing it with
a PhpBB discussion board.  This new discussion board will have three
sub-forums:

1) The contributer's forum

The only members of the mailing list will be members who have made
financial contributions to MaraDNS or who have done other work such as
reporting security bugs (which get assigned CVE numbers), making patches
for MaraDNS available, or contributing to the MaraDNS-ng project (which
will soon have a Git tree).  Indeed, this forum will have a sub-forum which
will only contain MaraDNS patches.

2) The guest's forum

This forum will be open to anyone and everyone.  Clueful posts in this
forum (read: Patches, useful "this host does not resolve" bug reports,
etc.) will be moved to the contributer's forum, with the clueful poster
marked as a "clueful poster".

Other posts, such as requests for MaraDNS 0.5 support, will remain on this
forum.

3) The leecher's forum

This forum will be for the kinds of wannabe leachers posts which pass off
as "hacking" these days.  Postings talking about how piracy should be
legal, conspiracy theories about some shadowy "copyright cartel", postings
bragging about using adblock, even postings discussing using MaraDNS to
block ads will be placed here.

For example, this MaraDNS 2.0 recursive configuration snippet would be
placed in the leecher's forum:

http://maradns.org/deadwood/doc/my.current.blacklist

The reason being because it has the following lines in it:

# Those "mouse over text" ads (the ones where keywords are double-
# underlined) are really annoying, since I like to move the mouse cursor
# around while reading something; having part of what I read replaced by an
# annoying mouseover ad annoys me to the point I don't want to read the
# article any more.
# (I also use a combination of click-to-flash and disabled animated GIFs
#  to block annoying animated ads.  I don't block and sometimes even click
#  static ads; I understand that web sites need money to stay online.)
root_servers["kontera.com."]="192.168.255.255" # Annoying mouseover ads
root_servers["infolinks.com."]="192.168.255.255" # Annoying mouseover ads
root_servers["intellitxt.com."]="192.168.255.255" # Annoying mouseover ads

Since I only work on MaraDNS once a month, it will take me a while to
implement this.  Hopefully, this will be ready by next year this time, on
April 1, 2014.