I have found and fixed the Duende FreeBSD problem

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 11:14:11 EDT 2008

Since someone sponsoring MaraDNS uses FreeBSD on the server side, I
was able to reproduce and resolve the problem with "duende" (MaraDNS'
daemonizer) not logging messages.

There are two ways of resolving it, one that the sysadmin can
implement, and one that I have implemented.

It would appear that FreeBSD's syslog daemon does not log Duende's
messages by default. In order to fix this, we first must create a
/var/log/daemon file, which will log all of MaraDNS' messages (or any
other messages created by a program that logs files with a "facility"
of LOG_DAEMON and a priority of LOG_INFO).

Next, we need to edit /etc/syslog.conf to add a line like this:

daemon.info /var/log/daemon

(That should be a tab, but just a space should work in FreeBSD)

Please be sure to add this line *before* any lines that begin with a
'!' character or a '+' character in the /etc/syslog.conf file.

This is the fix for MaraDNS 1.2 and stable MaraDNS 1.3.

For the development 1.3 branch, I changed the Duende code to have it
so, when compiled in FreeBSD (#ifdef __FREEBSD__), it logs messages as
"daemon.alert" (which is logged in FreeBSD's default /etc/syslog.conf)
instead of "daemon.info" (which isn't logged).

I have updated the MaraDNS snapshot to incorporate this change:

http://www.maradns.org/download/snap/1.3/200809/

It took me about a day to find the issue and resolve this; a lot of
the work was just getting FreeBSD working in VMware. Things like
configuring the virtual interface VMware uses and then figuring out
how to ssh to and from the VMware instance of FreeBSD (ssh
192.168.72.128 -l username). Once that was going, it didn't take too
long to fix the Duende problem ("man syslog" helped a lot)

Since I now have a working FreeBSD VMware image, I can more fully
support FreeBSD.