Question about delegating NS to another zone

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 17:16:19 EDT 2009

> I was looking for clarification on how Mara handles a delegation from a
> subdomain to a nameserver in another zone using the authonly binary.

Mara doesn't handle these things.  If MaraDNS is authonly, MaraDNS
doesn't return any records which aren't in MaraDNS' memory.  In other
words, if you have a NS sub-delegation by name, MaraDNS will only
return the names, and not the IP addresses for these NS
sub-delegations unless one adds local records in MaraDNS' memory.

BIND has this way of looking on the internet for DNS records if it
can't make a complete reply; for security reasons, MaraDNS doesn't do
this and it's up to the user to make all of their replies are complete
(no dangling CNAMEs, etc.)

If you want to have MaraDNS as an authonly client return A records for
NS records, the records need to be local.  This is what the relevant
lines in a CSV2 zone file would look like:

sub.example.com. NS ns.example.org.
sub.example.com. NS ns2.example.org.
ns.example.org. A 10.1.2.3
ns2.example.org. A 10.1.2.4

- Sam

Note: I do not answer MaraDNS support requests sent by private email
without being compensated for my time. I will discuss rates if you
want this kind of support. Thank you for your understanding.