Problem with .fr domains [TEST check if server is really recursive]: answer refused from server (IN/SOA: fr.)

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 12:17:23 EDT 2009

> ok, I recompiled the last patched version
> (maradns-Q.20090801.1.tar.bz2) and I disabled RA
> (#recursive_acl="0.0.0.0/0") but the error still exists ([TEST check
> if server is really recursive]: answer refused from server (IN/SOA:
> net.))

Markus,

I just released a new MaraDNS snapshot which should fix your issue.  There
is a bug in MaraDNS with how RA is set which I'm working on fixing so French
users can register with the AFNIC using MaraDNS as a server.

To download:

http://www.maradns.org/download/1.3/snap/200908/maradns-Q.20090802.1.tar.bz2

Expand the tarball ("tar -xjf maradns-Q.20090802.1.tar.bz2"), enter the
maradns-Q-20090802.1 directory, then type in "./configure ; make".  Take the
resulting "maradns" binary located at maradns-Q-20090802.1/server/maradns
and replace the copy of MaraDNS on your server with this new binary.

Next, make sure recursion is disabled ("recursive_acl" is not set in your
mararc file), and run this version of MaraDNS.  At this point, you should be
able to register your domain with AFNIC without any issues stopping the
registration.

Now that I've helped you, I would like to get some help.

I would like help with making a FAQ entry for people who will have this
AFNIC issue in the future before I release MaraDNS 1.3.14 later on this
week.  Is there anything besides the "you have recursion enabled but we
can't recurse with your DNS server" issue that stops people using MaraDNS
from registering their .fr domain?

I will add a pointer to http://www.maradns.org/faq.html#rdns because that's
another issue people have reported here.

OK, here's my plan to release MaraDNS 1.3.14:

* If there's anyone here with a Solaris box handy or an account on a Solaris
machine, please let me know if the maradns-Q-20090802.1 snapshot (download
instructions above) compiles on Solaris.  While I don't actively support
Solaris, I do want my program to be cross-platform enough to compile on
various OSes for people willing to get things to work without people holding
their hand.

* I need to set up some automated tests to make sure RA has reasonable
values.  It should be 0 if MaraDNS doesn't have recursion enabled for people
who have to deal with AFNIC's nonsense; it should be 1 for recursive replies
for people who have to deal with brain-dead DNS servers that won't accept
recursive replies if RA isn't 1.

* Add a FAQ entry for people having to deal with AFNIC's nonsense.  People
dealing with AFNIC can help me here; just let me know what you had to do to
get your domain to be happy with AFNIC.  I think the only blocker is the RA
issue.

At the same time, I will continue working on MaraDNS 2.0.  Deadwood (the
name for MaraDNS 2.0's recursive resolver) right now has RR rotation work; I
will get TTL aging to work, then will update the automated tests to handle
RR rotation/TTL aging, make it possible to disable RR rotation and TTL
aging, and release Deadwood 2.4.05.

- Sam

Note: I do not answer MaraDNS support requests sent by private email without
being compensated for my time. I will discuss rates if you want this kind of
support. Thank you for your understanding.